A hernia occurs when an organ of the body gets displaced and bulges out through the cavity wall. It usually involves the individual’s intestine, and it shows at a weak point in the abdominal wall. Hernias are generally a result of pressure and weakness of muscle. Medical personnel makes use of hernia meshes to fix hernias.
Hernia meshes have been in use for a relatively long time. However, not many people have enough knowledge about what they are and what it does. Additionally, several claims have come into the light, legally.
In this article, we would be informing you about things you should take note of before you decide to use a hernia mesh. If, however, you or anyone you know is hurt due to surgery, you need a Georgia hernia mesh lawyer to help you with your hernia mesh lawsuit.
What Is a Hernia Mesh?
Hernia mesh is a piece of medical equipment that doctors use to support tissues that hernia damages. A hernia mesh reduces the risk of another hernia developing. The surgeons place the hernia mesh over the hernia area and attach it with staples, glue, or stitches.
There are pores in the mesh that allow the individual’s tissues to grow into the device. Compared to other forms of treating hernia, the hernia mesh makes the recovery process quicker. It also improves the patient’s chances of successful hernia surgery.
Types of Hernia Meshes
There are many types of meshes, but we would be discussing five of them. These are plugs, sheets, patches, absorbable, and non-absorbable hernia meshes.
- Plugs: Surgeons fix the plug hernia meshes into the hole(s) that the hernia makes in the tissues.
- Sheets: These sheets are customizable to fit the uniqueness of each individual’s hernia.
- Patches: Doctors fix these patches over or under the weakened tissue.
- Absorbable Meshes: These meshes are not to provide long-term reinforcement to the repaired hernia. After a while, they degrade, thus leaving the tissue to rebuild itself on its own.
- Non-Absorbable Meshes: Non-absorbable meshes, however, remain permanently. It continually strengthens the tissue for no specific duration of time.
Hernia Mesh Implant Complications
Mesh implants, as stated earlier, are fastened to the body to stop a reoccurrence of hernias. Sometimes, these implants fail and end up causing more damage than good to the patients. Many complications can arise from mesh implants, and some of them are:
- Infection: Infections can happen quite frequently during the process of hernia repair and mesh installation.
- Migration: The hernia mesh might move away from the place the surgeon placed it.
- Adhesion: In adhesion, the mesh begins to stick to other parts of the body or other organs of the body.
- Bowel Blockage: The mesh could cause intestinal problems for the patient.
- Pain: The pain from the affected area might go on for months and even some years.
Legal Claims Against Mesh Manufacturers
A hernia mesh lawsuit is a legal claim that a patient brings against mesh manufacturers who suffer complications and injuries due to a mesh failure. Those who might be eligible to file a hernia mesh lawsuit are those who experience symptoms like bulging, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, or chronic pain.
Some of the charges that the manufacturers had against them include:
- The manufacturing of a defective batch of implant devices
- Manufacturing their products with inferior materials
- Failure or negligence on the part of the manufacturers to warn the public about the risks and side effects
- The mesh implants cause severe injuries and pains to patients
In 2011, C. R. Bard, a significant manufacturer of meshes, spent over $184 million to settle several lawsuits. About 3,000 people were involved in the mass tort case against C. R. Bard. They claimed that the mesh implants caused them severe injuries and pain. This manufacturer became liable for the damages and had to pay compensation to each victim.
Contact a Mass Tort Lawyer From Dalimonte Rueb Stoller, LLP
As helpful as meshes can be, sometimes, they can be very dangerous to you. If using a hernia mesh hurts you, you need to get a Georgia mass tort attorney who can get you the justice you deserve.
We at Dalimonte Rueb Stoller can boast of the success of our cases because our watchword is: justice belongs to everyone. We ensure you get the maximum compensation.
Our services are available to you anytime and any day. Our lines are always open, and we are always ready to assist you. Additionally, we offer free consultations to discuss your cases. What’s more? You don’t pay us if we don’t win. So, reach out to us today!