What are PPI Stomach Cancer Cases in California?
Mass tort cases, like PPI Stomach Cancer Cases, have become more common recently. There are just so many drugs and devices out there that are injuring people. The FDA can’t even keep up with all the new products being developed.
One thing the FDA does is offer shortcut approval for certain products. If your product is significantly similar to another drug or device already approved by the FDA, you can approve for a shortcut certification. The theory is that, if your product is just like one already approved, it must be safe, right?
The problem is that if the initial product ends up being found to be dangerous, then all those that followed in its footsteps will be too. This means massive litigation all over the country for these medical devices and drugs.
One of the most recent mass tort cases deals with proton pump inhibitors (PPI). PPI is used to treat peptic ulcers and GERD. It is now thought that PPI may cause gastric cancer. Two recent studies have linked the disease to long-term use of proton pump inhibitors.
What Injuries Are Caused by Proton Pump Inhibitors?
Thousands of patients have used proton pump inhibitors. The number of patients treated for ulcers climbs each year. This is because of the problems caused by food products and stress. The more stress you undergo, the better your chances are of developing ulcers.
Some of the most common injuries caused by PPI include:
- Pancreatitis – This is when your pancreas becomes inflamed. It can be quite severe – even deadly. If you suffer from acute pancreatitis, it will be short-lived. With the right treatment, you can fully recover from acute pancreatitis. If you develop chronic pancreatitis, it will last the rest of your life and require constant treatment. Thankfully, most injuries from PPI are of the acute variety.
- Reduced kidney function – Your kidneys need to operate at full capacity in order to flush your body of toxins. If you experience reduced kidney function, you may actually need dialysis at some point.
- Reduced liver functions – Similar to your kidneys, you need your liver to function at 100%. If it doesn’t you could end up with lifelong medical complications.
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome – This is a short-term condition that causes extreme sensitivity of your skin and mouth. If treated quickly, it can usually be resolved rather easily.
- Stomach Cancer – Use of proton pump inhibitors can eventually lead to gastric or PPI stomach cancer. Studies have shown that even if you’ve been treated for early symptoms caused by PPI, you may still have a higher risk of developing these types of cancers.
All of these issues can be quite severe and painful. You’ll need to get treatment right away. If your injuries are serious enough, you may have a legal claim against the manufacturer.
Who is Named as Defendants in California proton pump inhibitors Lawsuits?
The two defendants who have been named in the PPI lawsuits, for the most part, are AstraZeneca, Prizer and Proctor and Gamble. Chances are, you’ve heard of these companies. They are the main manufacturers of Nexium and Prilosec, the two main PPI drugs.
There is currently litigation pending against the defendants across the country. There is yet to be any major settlements announced. In fact, the defendants allege that their products are safe and seem to be intent on going to trial.
The defendants can’t ignore the fact that many of their customers have indeed contracted PPI stomach cancer. Nor can they ignore the research that shows the link between PPI and gastric cancer. However, as most companies do, they’ll take their chances in court.
The most defendant in mass tort cases will continue to declare their products safe for as long as they can. The millions of dollars they make selling their drugs is too much. They would rather risk a few large lawsuits rather than lose the revenue they make from the products.
Thankfully, for the manufacturers of proton pump inhibitors, the bad press is not quite where it is for other defendants in mass tort cases. For example, compared to the talcum powder cases being filed against Johnson and Johnson, the PPI lawsuits have remained relatively quiet. Once this changes, the companies may change their tune.
What Damages Can You Claim in a PPI Stomach Cancer Suit?
If you’ve taken a PPI and ended up with any of the medical issues outlined above, you may have a claim for damages. The damages involved in a PPI case are similar to that of other dangerous drug cases:
- Medical bills – You will be reimbursed for any out of pocket medical bills you incurred. If your insurance company already covered treatment, you will not be able to claim these expenses as damages. You cannot “double dip.”
- Lost Wages – If you are out of work or have to go on disability because of your cancer, you will be entitled to compensation. Your lawyer will have to submit proof of these damages.
- Pain and Suffering – Most mass tort cases are known for the high amount of pain and suffering. They usually make up more of your settlement that actual damages.
Call and speak with an experienced lawyer today to see what your case may be worth.
Contact a Mass Tort Lawyer in Los Angeles Right Away
If you currently use a PPI, talk to your doctor and make sure you don’t have any of these issues. If you do, you may need to contact a mass tort lawyer in Los Angeles right away. A mass tort lawyer knows how to handle your case. They’ll file a claim against the people responsible for your injuries.
These parties may include:
- Manufacturer of the device
- Doctor or surgeon who implanted it
- Hospital where that doctor worked
- Insurance companies for the doctor and/or hospital
Your Los Angeles mass tort lawyer will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Depending on your injuries, you may be entitled to:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. An experienced PPI Stomach Cancer lawyer will review your claim and let you know what it may be worth. The consult is free and you pay nothing until you settle your claim.