The worst kinds of injuries are those that affect children. When children become victims of sexual abuse and assault, the first thing we want to do is find out who did it. The person who perpetrates this kind of injury needs to be held accountable. Often times, these crimes are committed by people your children trust. It can be teachers, mentors, family members – even priests. If this happens to you or your child, you need to contact sexual abuse lawyers.
The problem with sexual abuse is that it leaves more than physical scars. It leaves mental and emotional scars as well. These injuries can last a lifetime.
The skilled mass tort lawyers at Dalimonte Rueb Stoller are committed to getting the victims of sexual abuse justice. They’ll make sure the people responsible are held accountable. They’ll also fight to get your family the compensation it deserves.
If you or your loved one have been the victim of sexual abuse or assault, contact an experienced attorney at Dalimonte Rueb Stoller today. Call (833) 44-DRLAW or complete our online free consultation form to get started. We respect our clients’ privacy. Rest assured your information will remain confidential.
What is Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse comes in many forms. It’s not always easy to detect. Usually, the victim is abused by someone they trust. So, they’re often afraid to report the abuse, even to their parents.
Sexual abuse, from a legal perspective, is any unwanted sexual contact. It can involve any of the following things:
- Sexual abuse covers a range of behaviors, including the following:
- Fondling and touching of a sexual nature
- Showing children explicit images
- Exposing children to sexually charged language
- Exposing children to pornography
- Taking inappropriate photos of a child for personal use or distribution
- Requesting that a minor send pictures or videos of themselves in an inappropriate manner
- Revealing one’s private parts to a child
- Oral sex
Unfortunately, sexual abuse usually involves someone in a position of power or authority. They use their power to take advantage of their victims. Some of the elements of sexual abuse include the following:
A person who has authority over their victim will take advantage of them. This can be a teacher, relative, or member of the clergy.
Often times, the person abusing the victim is someone much older. Many adults take advantage of children. They are sick and they engage in unwanted sexual advances toward a child or adolescent. Given their young age, many victims of sexual abuse suffer from the following mental health issues:
- Substance abuse problems and
- Personality disorders.
Most adult victims are female. Given their smaller size, they simply can’t overcome a man who is trying to abuse them.
Sexual predators choose their victims carefully. They purposely pick people who they know will be afraid to tell anybody about the abuse.
The expert class action attorneys are prepared to handle all of these types of cases. They will strive to get you and your loved one justice.
What are some of the Effects of Sexual Abuse?
Sexual abuse victims usually suffer in many ways: emotionally, mentally, and physically. They’re often afraid to report the abuse. This can be just as harmful as the actual abuse. After keeping their secret for so long, they end up feeling anxious, fearful, and depressed.
Sexual abuse involves many different warning signs, including:
- Sudden changes in behavior – at home, in school and socially
- Their grades suffer and they don’t participate in class the way they used to
- Depression and low self-esteem
- Low sense of self-worth
- Unhealthy attitudes toward sex
- Obsessed with sex – reading material, movies, etc.
If you notice your child exhibiting any of these signs or symptoms, you should report it to a doctor. Other medical professionals are required to report suspected abuse as well. These professionals include:
- Health professionals
- School employees
- Social Workers
- Law enforcement
Sadly, not everyone takes this duty seriously. Sexual abuse lawyers have handled many cases where, unfortunately, children aren’t protected the way they should be.
What is Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is a bit different from sexual abuse. It involves more than just unwanted sexual contact. It includes all acts of molestation and unwanted sexual advances. This includes, but isn’t limited to, the following acts:
- Attempted rape
- Forcible sodomy
- Forced sexual intercourse
- Child molestation
A lot of sexual assault victims never report their abuse. There are many reasons for this, including:
- Their afraid people won’t believe them
- They don’t think their accusations will be taken seriously
- The entire situation just makes them uncomfortable
- They’re embarrassed
- They’re in denial
- Fear of retaliation
Survivors of sexual assault are entitled to justice. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Dalimonte Rueb Stoller will treat you with the respect you deserve. They’ll go after the people responsible for your loved one’s abuse and demand that they are held accountable.
Sexual Abuse and Assault Statistics
The sexual abuse and assault statistics in this country are staggering. It’s hard to imagine who would want to hurt a child or other sexual assault victims. However, it happens every day. Some of the disturbing statistics include the following:
- 17% of boys and 25% of girls will be sexually abused before the age of 18 according to the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- 93% of juvenile victims know their attacker
- The U.S. Department of Justice’s National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW) reports that only 30 percent of all sexual assault cases are actually reported to the authorities
- Almost 40 percent of all sex abuse victims have problems forming and maintaining relationships later in life.
- Sexual abuse victims are more likely to suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts
- In 2017, the National Crime Victimization Survey released by the Department of Justice reported that someone in this country is sexually assaulted every 98 seconds
Catholic Church Sexual Abuse Lawyers
There have been reports that more than 8,000 people in this country have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of members of the Catholic Church. These victims have filed claims against the church. To date, they’ve received over $3.8 billion in restitution.
This may seem like a lot of victims. However, the number of actual sexual abuse victims is closer to 100,000. So many people don’t report the abuse, that we don’t have updated numbers. If you or your loved one have been sexually abused by a Catholic priest or clergy member, we are here to help.
Southern Baptist Church Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Attorneys
It’s not only the Catholic Church that has been found liable for sexual abuse. Almost 400 Southern Baptist Church leaders and volunteers have been accused or charged with sexual abuse over the last twenty (20) years.
The cases filed against the South Baptist Church have involved sexual abuse, molestation, rape, and impregnation. There have been over 700 victims who’ve come forward so far. Currently, Dalimonte Rueb Stoller is accepting sexual abuse cases all over the country.
If you or your loved one have been sexually abused at the hands of the Southern Baptist Church, contact our experienced attorneys for a free consultation.
Contact our Sexual Abuse Attorneys for a Confidential Free Consultation
If your child or loved one has become the victim of sexual abuse or assault, you should speak with an experienced lawyer at Dalimonte Rueb Stoller. They’ll review your case and answer any questions you may have.
Our compassionate attorneys will listen to your story and keep your information confidential. Contact us today and schedule your free initial consultation. You deserve justice and Dalimonte Rueb Stoller. will make sure the guilty party is held accountable.