Truvada is a widespread HIV medication, but it is also one of the drugs that have been associated with some severe complications. Among the many side effects of this drug are kidney problems. If you’ve suffered these complications, you may be interested in filing a Truvada lawsuit.
Truvada belongs to a class of HIV drugs known as nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs). It is supposed to treat HIV by preventing the virus from replicating, which prevents transmission. It also helps the immune system (people with HIV are known to have a weakened immune system).
The medication was manufactured by Gilead; it contains an active ingredient tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF). United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved TDF as an HIV medication in 2001.
Truvada Side Effects
Besides it can cause chronic kidney disease, bone demineralization from compromised bone density, there are known cases where the compromised bone density led to bone fractures.
These bone and kidney side effects of Truvada were also related to other drugs that belong to the group of HIV drugs. They all contain tenofovir disoproxil fumarate.
If you were taking Truvada and suffered from kidney failures, you can file a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, Inc. The reason can be the dangerous side effects of the drug.
You can file a Truvada lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company for the delayed sale of safer drugs because they were focused on getting the profit from Truvada.
What are the Most Common Truvada Injuries
- Kidney failure may occur if kidney disease is treated. There are cases where patients ended up having dialysis or kidney transplantation. This condition can be chronic or acute.
- Osteopenia is a condition of weakened bones and teeth. If it is not treated, the patient will be exposed to the risk of bone fractures.
- Fanconi Syndromeis the condition when an impaired kidney tubule function affects the urine’s chemical makeup. It includes abnormal protein levels in the urine – proteinuria. Fanconi Syndrome causes kidney damage and bone loss.
- Osteopenia is a condition of weakened bones (including teeth). If left untreated, it could lead to bone fractures.
- Osteoporosis is the condition of brittle and easily breakable bones.
- Osteomalacia is the condition when bones fracture faster than they can re-form.
- Lactic acidosis is a condition that occurs from damaged kidneys (due to prolonged usage of Truvada). Lactis acidosis means that lactate was accumulated in the bloodstream. Since the kidneys are not properly functioning, they will not remove the excess amount of lactic acids from the blood. This condition will lead to nausea, vomiting, difficulties breathing and weakness.
There is a large number of lawsuits against Gilead Sciences, Inc. There are even class-action lawsuits that represent the victims in California who were taking Truvada regularly. The lawsuit states that Gilead Sciences, Inc. should have developed and sold another drug that was safer than Truvada. The company knew about the side effects of their drug and never warned the patients, carrying only about the profit. They kept the new and safer drug out of production until Truvada’s patent was set to expire.
How Long Will a Truvada Lawsuit Take?
If we are about to compare this lawsuit to others similar (on defective medicine or failure of a pharmaceutical company to warn the people about side effects), the lawsuit will take a few years before the final settlement.
You are not alone in this; thousands of people have suffered from the harsh side effects of Truvada and other drugs that contain TDF. Courts will unite all of these lawsuits into multidistrict litigation, or MDL. This means they will combine every similar case for the pretrial procedures in front of one federal district court, including:
- Motions to exclude evidence
- Evidence gathering
- Motions to dismiss
- Summary judgment motions
- Expert testimony
This will allow the victims to share evidence; it is much easier to do it than find it by yourself in every claim and settlement.
MDLs have included settlement negotiations and will conduct bellwether trials. Such trials take representative cases from the MDL and guide them through a jury trial. Overall, the MDL process can last up to two years.
If you live in the Los Angeles area and are a victim of HIV drugs such as Truvada and suffered from any side effects, especially kidney failures, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company it developed it.
Call our office today and allow our Truvada lawsuit lawyers to explain everything to you.